Monday 18 February 2013

Back to Titanic: My Favourite Scenes

"It's goodbye for a little while. Only for a little while. There'll be another boat for the daddies; this boat's for the mommies and the children. You hold mommy's hand and be good a little girl."

Opening Credits
Ghost Ship/Into the Wreck
Back to Titanic
Leaving Port
Ode to Titanic
Flying
"Iceberg, Right Ahead!"
A Mathematical Certainty
"Get On the Boat, Rose!"
Nearer My God To Thee
Shattered Dreams
At the Stern/Prayer For the Dying/Death of Titanic
Extended Carpathia Sequence
The Carpathia
A Promise Kept
Titanic has been my favourite movie since I first watched it at a very young age. Despite its flaws, I still love it and watch it all the time. The above scenes are the ones I view over and over again when I don't have time to watch the entire 3 hour long film. I'm not going to type out a full review here as that would be a complete waste of everyone's time, nor will I even explain my choices, but I'd like to say a few key things.

This film first got me interested in history and the genre of music that I honestly have severe trouble labelling. I don't know whether to call it "classical" (which doesn't quite fit), "orchestral", "soundtracks", "film scores", "film music", or something else. Either way, most of these scenes contain beautiful music by James Horner, most of which isn't actually on the official soundtrack. That's something that bothers the hell out of me, but I won't go on an undignified rant right now.

My favourite scene is either the end of the "Shattered Dreams" sequence in which the Grand Staircase is flooded and seen for the last time (pictured above), or the very end of the film, "A Promise Kept" (also pictured above), just before that horrific song by Celine Dion. I really do wish Cameron hadn't cut out most of the Carpathia sequence, though Titanic's editing wasn't nearly as brutal and detrimental to the film as was that of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and its sequel, At World's End.

No comments:

Post a Comment